Google+

Thursday, May 1, 2014

The Paper Players Challenge #193 - A Sketch from Anne Marie - My Entry!




This is the first contest I've made a card for and also the first card featured on my blog! This card is a culmination of all that recent trips to Michaels/Hobby Lobby/AC Moore, and more! I hope to bring you many more cards in the near future! This post is both a starting point for my crafts as well as my first post, exciting!



It's been quite the fun experience. I recently got into crafting, specifically papercrafting, after getting rave reviews for my wrapping and simple cardmaking skills during this past holiday season. I hadn't made a card or wrapped in a present for some time prior to that so it's a recent love! What started with construction paper and gift-wrap has now turned into a Cricut-wielding Martha Stewart-esque craft station of wonderment! I'm a guy and cardmaking not considered the most masculine of hobbies but after I made my first card and no one made fun of the guy making cards, I knew I was in the right hobby. Cardmaking is always uplifting for guy, girl, man, woman, child, and old alike!



As a DJ, I cannot craft without music in the background so my crafting area has been granted the pleasure of my first iPod as it's music source!



Here's some detail the outside of my card, along with some detail for the inside. I used my Martha Stewart Monarch Butterfly Craft Punch for the inside butterfly. I used my "fussy cutting" skills, sponge daubing, matte-framing, and, of course, stamping!



The sketch from the contest called for three bits of some kind of embellishment in the corner. I started to look through my button collection that I had recently grabbed from my grandmother. She's my original crafting teacher and I can remember taking trips with her to JoAnn Fabrics and other craft stores, she's still rocking strong currently working a full-time job at age 70+ years young, but she's been crafting less. She loves to receive a good card and instilled the value of sending a thank you card in me. This all started because of her!



I never used to embellish the inside of my cards with many details other than a bit of white cardstock stuck onto the card with some washi tape. I love adding the same cardstock I used for the exterior of the card, it makes the card that much more cohesive.





Materials and supplies list:


I split the materials and supplies list because it's my personal preference, seeing what is on the card in one list and what was used in another list is easier for my need to collect 'em all! I've included links to things I've bought online, or that can be found online.


Materials:

Vintage buttons (but, of course, any buttons will do!)
Recollections Trader Jane Cardstock paper pad (butterfly, flower pattern, Aztec pattern, and pink textured-look, I picked this up on clearance for eight dollars! Cannot find a link online but this is what makes up the bunk of the card so apologies to those looking!)
Recollections 7gypises stamps (for the Happy Birthday message, cannot find a link, picked it up in the dollar bin!)
Jute Twine (from Target's dollar section by the entrance of all of their stores, I love dollar sections!)





Regardless of my rank in this competition, it was fun and getting to see other crafter's creations of the same inspiration is inspiring to say the least! Here's a link to the post and here's the sketch!

I've also entered it in Crafty Card Makers challenge as I have used the butterfly motif! Some good entries in that contest!

Cheers crafters!




6 comments:

  1. William, welcome to the world of penury. As you have already discovered crafting can be an expensive business!

    Your first ever challenge card is absolutely gorgeous. I love the warm tones and that butterfly is just superb and perfect for our 'bug's life' challenge.

    Thank you for sharing with us and we hope to see you back again

    Lin
    Crafty Cardmakers and More

    PS May I suggest you turn off word verification, it slows down the comments process and you can protect your blog from spam by simply moderating the comments prior to them being published.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words! I just turned off word verification for the future!

      Delete
  2. WOW William, welcome to the wonderful world of blogger, and your first post is certainly a good one.
    As Lin has already pointed out it can be very expensive, and is definitely very addictive, but also extremely therapeutic.
    Well done to your Grandma for launching you on your creative journey.
    Thank you for entering your lovely card into my challenge at CCM&M, good luck
    hugs Kimx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, pretty. What a great way to kick off your card challenges! I am in love with the butterfly, the twine and the papers. The buttons are a perfect finishing touch.
    I echo Kim, well done to your Grandma for fostering your creative talent and it's great to have you play along with us. So glad that you joined us at the Paper Players this week and we hope to see you again
    Jaydee

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous card! I love that pretty patterned paper and the attention you have given to the inside, as well. Thanks for sharing your beautiful creation with us at The Paper Players, William!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful card. That butterfly is absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for joining us at CCM&M this time. Cxxx

    ReplyDelete